Corbin, Schaffer & Aviles' Immigration Practice was formed with the addition of Ann Lamdin to the firm in 1999 and provides exemplary advice regarding employment-based immigration matters. We can assist you through the labyrinth of the immigration process and in developing a strategy to obtain residency in the United States for your employees and their families.


Ann L. Lamdin manages the firm's immigration practice. Ms. Lamdin is a 1987 honors graduate of the University of Maryland School of Law. She has practiced immigration and employment law throughout her career, representing employers in connection with the preparation and filing of employment-based immigrant and nonimmigrant visa petitions of all types.

CSA's immigration practice is experienced in all aspects of employment-based immigration law. We have a complete understanding of the process and complexities involved in immigration practice.

CSA's immigration practice represents a broad range of corporate and individual clients with their immigration needs and has a broad range of experience in industries such as finance, high-technology, insurance, electronics, and health care. These clients are based through the United States, Latin America, Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

The immigration practice assists its clients in a wide spectrum of immigration matters including:

  • Corporate planning of both permanent and temporary international transfers of personnel
  • Advocacy and representation of clients' interests before legislative bodies and administrative agencies
  • Obtaining all types of U.S. non-immigrant visas including: professional visas (H-1B); intracompany transferee visas (L-1); treaty trader/investor visas (E-1/E-2); student visas (F-1); scholar and exchange visas (J-1); and extraordinary ability/artist/athlete visas (O and P)
  • Obtaining US permanent residence through employment, investment and family relationships
  • Compliance with the employer sanctions and antidiscrimination provisions of the immigration law
  • Litigation in the federal courts and before United States Administrative Law Judges


B-1 Business Visitor Visas

Our immigration practice has decades of experience in helping our clients secure B-1 Business Visitor Visas for international employees who regularly work outside the United States. The B-1 Business Visitor Visa is reserved for non-U.S. nationals who work outside of the country and who wish to visit the United States for short periods of time (generally, less than six months) to conduct legitimate business activities. For example, your company may want to secure a B-1 Business Visitor Visa for an international employee whom you wish to solicit sales and/or negotiate contracts for work to be performed outside the United States, or to purchase goods produced in the U.S. Perhaps you wish to have an international employee visit the United States to attend a conference or seminar, or need that individual to participate in litigation or consult in-person, with domestic employees. If so, then a B-1 Business Visitor Visa might be appropriate. There are, however, a myriad of restrictions inherent to the conferral of B-1 status and our trained staff will not only help you to secure this status, but will also help navigate you through the potential pitfalls and restrictions.

State Department Primer on Visitor Visas

L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visas

We are also experienced with helping our clients procure L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visas for foreign employees who have the requisite managerial or executive experience. With our help, you may be able to gain the authorization necessary to transfer a valuable foreign executive, manager or specialty worker to a domestic base. We have the know-how to help your company steer through the regulations governing the attainment of this valuable benefit.

USCIS Explanation of L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visas

E-1 and E-2 Treaty Visas

With an E Treaty Visa, business personnel engaging in the practice of promoting trade between the United States and select foreign nations may gain entry into the U.S. We will work with you towards obtaining this visa which is of substantial value as it may be indefinitely renewed. The process necessary to obtain an E Treaty Visa differs greatly from that required for other modes of entry into the United States, and should only be undertaken with the aid of someone with substantial experience. Contact us today to see whether you or your employee is a viable candidate for an E Treaty Visa.

State Department Primer on E Treaty Visas

H-1B Temporary Worker Visa

H-1B Visas are well-suited for foreign workers who are recent university graduates or for other skilled foreign professionals. Those individuals with specialized knowledge and education may qualify for an H-1B Visa. These Visas are particularly valuable as H-1B Visa holders frequently convert to permanent resident status based on a family-sponsored petition or a petition by the employer. We are well-prepared to guide you, the employer, through the H-1B process.

USCIS Explanation of H-1B Temporary Worker Visas